Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fresh Faces in Fashion!


Living on the internet 24/7 has finally paid off. And thank goodness blog surfing is my #1 past-time when avoiding French homework.

Through some amazing twist of fate, Jenn, Crystal, Kevin and I ended up at the Peterson Automobile Museum Thursday night around 7pm
. We finally met Christine Ngo (great to finally put a face to all those emails/tweets), who was wearing an adorable mini-dress with feathers at the hem and nude heels that were studded within an inch of their life -- totally fabulous. She is super down to earth and really great, thanks so much Christine! Anyway, she ushered us into the museum and showed us around before the show started.

Things I learned:
1. Being on camera is very...awkward. Christine interviewed
us about the use of plastic in fashion and I was definitely very tongue-tied and self conscious. I'd rather be behind the camera next time..haha.
2. People don't eat...they drink. Open bar, no snacks. Surprisingly enough, the only snacks we found were backstage, where the models were. Irony?
3. Everyone wears black. EVERYONE. It makes these already waif-like girls appear even thinner, as if they're some last remnant of a black hole that will disappear as soon as you blink.


Oh and YES, we went backstage. It was really cool to actually be there and see the SUPER tall models hanging out being fierce with each other. It was just like anything I'd seen in magazines where they take you "behind the scenes", but I guess on a smaller scale? Tons of make up artists dressed in head to toe black, tons of clothing racks, tons of clothes being steamed, products everywhere, models everywhere, bustling around everywhere. Une vie de reve!

Had the great opportunity to meet a bunch of bloggers too! (: I got to talk to Neekoh of livelovela for a little while, and she is so down to earth and super nice. And during the show I stood with Rebecca of stylewithbenefits and Melanie of wreckedstellar, and we ogled the collections and discussed our faves of the night.

The show itself was amazing...I'll let the pictures do the talking.

Sigh. I really need to get rid of my ghetto camera and INVESTTT in something legitimate.

We lingered and mingled for a little while after the show. Some highlights:
1. Talked to the designer of Stampd LA (LOVE THIS) as well as his sales director (?), who graduated from UCI in 2005, apparently. YAY ANTEATERS!
2. I officially love bartenders. Mike, Marc, something, I forget. But they were all super nice & talkative (just like in the movies!) and one of them mixed me the greatest drink I've ever had, totally improvised. It had Peach Schnapps and cranberry juice and 7-up...I think. Anyway, it tasted like heaven in a cup.
3. Talked to some people from Myspace about how amazing the internet culture is and how great it is that minorities are breaking into the media industry. Then Jenn felt his soft hair and he got her number...time to peace out.
4. Got a picture with Kaley Cuoco! She is so sweet and actually really pretty in real life, haha. Also her dress was pretty much amazing.
5. Kevin was told he looked like a young Alexander Wang. EXCELLENT, stick to that story. Definitely our line of the night.
6. Saw some girl who had the same heels as me. BITCH PLEASE. Haha, just kidding. She must have excellent taste. (;

We left the museum around 11:30 in a haze of alcohol/life-induced euphoria, still somewhat amazed at the preceding events. Original plans were to head over to Tiger Heat and dance the night away but we ended up roaming the streets of LA and taking some angsty photos.

And after eating nothing for 12 hours, we headed to the late night Mecca for teens like us: Jack in the Box. Screw you, anorexically thin models, I want my meaty burrito. After an accidental explosion of ranch sauce in the back seat we decided to sit outside in the parking lot and devour our treasures. So there we were... midnight in LA, dressed to the nines, stuffing our faces with curly fries and soda while squatting in the parking lot of Jack in the Box. Who said my life isn't glamorous?

Definitely a night for the books. It was the birth of the fuckupellas: four young Asians, interested in fashion and writing and designing and photography, trying to find an in. Starstruck and hopeful, self-conscious but ambitious. We're fuck ups if you ask any Asian parent -- we're not studying to be doctors or lawyers. I mean, it takes me WAY too long to figure out how much to tip at restaurants, and I'm pretty unaware of the state of the world as it stands. But hey, chasing our dreams never sounded so good. And if anything, at least Jack in the Box will always be open for us when we're poor and depressed. Nothing like a good burger and fries to compensate for your losses.

9 comments:

  1. I hate you & I am so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely in love with this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your writing style.. esp. the last paragraph. And I take too long to figure out tips too. :) Great post!!

    xo, Becs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock, girl! Great meeting you and your crew. And thank you so much for the kind comments!
    I'm going to add your link to my blog roll. Let me know when you're in LA again. We should hit up Kitchen 24 to survey the after-night-life of LA while noshing on some comfort food. How does that sound?
    And here's to many more amazing opportunities like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear! Loved this post, esp. that last paragraph- can I just tell you that my mind completely goes blank when it comes to tipping to the point in which my boyfriend thought that I don't tip since I don't figure it out! It was so great to meet you and am looking forward to reading your future posts! Keep in touch, xo, Mel

    x ws x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chery, were you the girl that goes to UCI that I met backstage at the show? I'm trying to figure out who I met :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. GREAT NIGHT! LET's REPEAT SOON PLEASE! hahah never loved jack in the box as much as i did that night. FUCKAPELLAS UNITE! love your blog btw! and you looked better in your shoes than that other ho did

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you guys had so much fun!! xo

    http://byteresawu.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow lovely blog post (:
    I am so jealous of you right now!

    Mind visiting my blog?
    http://crossingyouinstylesomeday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete